THE ULTIMATE EXPLORATION RIG for the Sand & Spinifex Expedition 2008

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 10:24
ThreadID: 59051 Views:4838 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Well the time is finally here for departure on the Sand and Spinifex Expedition 2008. After much planning and labouring the adventure is about to kick off. Those crazed, Aussie-phile Canadians are here (Int members – Scott & Gaby) and the troopy and patrol loaded. Having spent the entire QB long weekend making two robust trailers, I think we now have the ultimate remote exploration set-up. The Arctic Cat Quads have a 700cc Diesel motor and will provide plenty of extra options for exploring some of the remote areas around Rudall River, the Great Sandy, Gibson and Simpson Deserts. They’re fitted out with extra fuel and water tanks, GPS, UHF, winch, ensuite and bar!

We’ll be knocking over the Mount Davies Road, Surveyor Generals Corner, The Hunt Oil Road, Eagle Hwy – x-country from Warri to Mount Madley, the Gunbarrel, some of the Canning, Puntawarri Track, Talawana Track, Rudall River, The Oakover Country, Callawa Track, Wapet (Kidson) Track, Gary Junction Road, Jenkins Track, Veevers Crater, some of the Gary Hwy, Sandy Blight Junction Track, Old Gunbarrel. A quick wash in Alice and then out the Plenty to Goyders Pillar and south through the Simpson from Hay River onto the K1 and Warburton Tracks, Walkers Crossing, Innamincka and south to home from there. A gazillion entry and transit permits and some 10, 000 km over the coming couple of months. If I can get near an email, I’ll send track & trip reports but as once we pass the NT border, our next stop with a washing machine will be 80 mile beach on the north WA Coast, chances are fairly slim. Thanks to all those who’ve provided answers to my many questions over the past 8 months of planning (Chris R, Alan Mc @ Equinox, Willem, Stephen L, Sarg, Willie, Jack, The Navigator and anyone else I’ve neglected to mention). Our later than expected departure date means we’ll miss the Innamincka gathering but will still hope to cross paths with a few of you way out west.

Cheers and “speak” again in August.

“Never Lost & No Desert Uncrossed……hopefully

Mick.

P.S. Those not travelling this year, could you please send all spare cash to the Mick O diesel fund. I’ll remember 2008 as the year it was cheaper to fly around the world TWICE than it was to travel the iconic tracks of the outback!!!! Have fun in Innamincka all those going. MO (Posted a few more photo's on the profile page for those interested).

!Image Could Not Be Found

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 10:45

Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 10:45
Didn't someone recently say that it was almost impossible to get a permit to visit Surveyor Generals Corner, or are you 'employing' a guide ?

AnswerID: 311407

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 11:13

Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 11:13
"Though the scrubs may range around me,
My camel shall bear me on;
Though the desert may surround me,
It hath springs that shall be won."

Ernest Giles

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 311417

Reply By: On Patrol (TONI) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 12:59

Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 12:59
Go on Mick, P1SS of and leave us poor souls to envy, I hope you suffer remorse for what your doing, LOL

Have a great adventure and arrive home safe, well & totally shagged.
Colin
AnswerID: 311433

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 17:26

Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 17:26
Yeah, I'll second that & hope you choke on the bull dust. Are you going to wash the ATV the same way as you wash your vehicle!! It looks to good to do that to.
I envy you!! Have a safe trip.
FollowupID: 577444

Reply By: Mudness - Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 17:44

Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 17:44
Good luck & enjoy, trailer looks great but why such small hubs & bearings?
AnswerID: 311468

Reply By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 21:00

Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 21:00
Geez Mick... I'm green

Have a great adventure - and post up some pics of your new steel visitors boxes for the intrepid traveller.

Cheers
Chris
AnswerID: 311525

Sponsored Links